Thursday, March 26, 2009

Say goodnight, not goodbye.

On a blog about books, I'd like to tell you a story.

Once, there was a fierce warrior queen. She was a slayer of zombies, a mother, a wife, a reader, and a friend. Her wit, humor, strength and courage as she battled cancer with a sword in one hand and a book in the other were not to be underestimated, and her battle was heroic. She laughed in the face of Doom and spit in the eye of Pessimism while balancing her laptop on her knee and turning another page with her finger. She loved her family and supported her friends and made the world a better and smaller place with her fire and words, and she lived, lived, lived.

One day, at long last and yet far, far too soon, the sword grew too heavy and it was time for her to lay it down. She will be remembered in countless hearts and minds for decades to come, and her name is written in the stars. She didn't lose her battle. She won the war.

Godspeed, Alabamapink. Thank you for being my friend.

9 comments:

Anna von Beaverplatz said...

You made me cry again.

Thank you.

Jeremy Feist said...

That was absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for that. If Amanda read that, she'd be touched.

MelodyLane said...

Beautiful.

Girl With Curious Hair said...

That was gorgeous and breathtaking.

Lizzie said...

Absolutely lovely, darling.

TK said...

Well said, Nicole. That was lovely.

And I maintain that she's still our friend, and always will be.

Julie said...

Wonderful, Nicole.

Jayne said...

Oh Nicole. You have me sobbing at my desk right now. This one touched me even more than the others I've read for her. well done, my lady.

Nicole said...

Thank you all. I only hope that my little bit of a ramble did justice to the amazing woman who was, still is, and always will be my friend.